Thursday, May 8, 2008

Blogging culture forward

In one of his recent articles (interesting as ever), Christian Henner-Fehr highlights a subject which is fairly current. Arts management on the internet. His article is linked to another blog by Karin Janner, recently publishing on the web herself. Since both sites are in German, I would like to add a small article in English myself. Moreover, the subject is therefore interesting, since I have hardly analysed my own reasons upfront, why I have started a weblog on managament of the culturalrealm, yet in the meantime I am meeting people, who see the computer only as a sophisticated typing-machine to type-and-print an incidental letter, maybe make an address-listing of their friends or CD-collection in excell, and a few are even reading some e-mails (forgetting to reply to them sometimes). Maximising the internet, and therefore not only to download a game or a video-clip, is sometimes a bridge too far.

Karin Jenner very nicely and systematically started her first blogs, by explaining (analysing) management in general, then arts management, then why she decided to blog. The reason is clear and simple - the fast and easy access to it! In my case, I also searched for all kids of information, comparison material, readers, and let's be honest: imagining myself to go to libraries, talk to people, make phonecalls to order something, to obtain the quantity of materials which I have gained through the internet, I would have needed a multifold number of workweeks to succeed the same result. Internet is faster. Then comes the point, where you gain some experience or information, or sometimes just ideas and findings, which are perhaps interesting enough to share. In the old days, you sent it to a publisher, maybe a magazine, and weeks or months later you might be lucky if it was published. Here we have the ability to publish within minutes, where anyone from Vancouver to Sydney can read my article.

And reading your article, makes you visible in the market. Remarkably, people write me many mails regarding my articels (only very very few post a comment on my articles, maybe because publicly posting something seems a bit scary to most of us). But the number of contacts, which I got within a very short time period was something that even surprised me.

In the old days, offices (of managers, or consultants) had perhaps only a phone. Calling overseas was a costly thing, therefore limiting the quick communication slightly. Most of the communication was envelope, stamp and dispatch. Internet is unlimited - once you have access, whether you contact your neighbour down the road, or at the other side of our planet, is no difference any longer. You don't have to wait for the courier to stop in front of your door or waiting for the post office to open. You don't need paper, stamps, tipp-ex, paper-clips.

Internet and blogging, is therefore a splended tool - in my view - to present your strategies, your haves and to gain efficiently a network, mobilising people around you, to manage your cultural issues. It is the fastest and cheapest PR-tool you can get. So why not maximise this fascinating opportunity?

And to end with a light note: yes, I hear some sceptics mumble already - "we should not be dependent on the internet all the time": True - not to hang all the time on the web, but the more efficient you become on the web, the more time you gain to enjoy private life outside the laptop. But the saving of time and effort to attain the same simply cannot be compared. Let's admit, that if you miss this train, you miss the whole lot.

MS

No comments: